- Solid Waste
- Adopt-A-City Street
Adopt-A-City Street Program
The Adopt-A-City Street Program provides volunteer public involvement in controlling litter along Hot Springs' streets.
Businesses, families, civic groups and individuals are invited to adopt a section of one of our City streets to help control litter and receive recognition in the form a sign erected by the City for their participation in the program.
To be considered for the program, please complete the following form and submit it to Solid Waste at 218 Runyon Street or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, call 501-321-6911.
Volunteer Agreement: Adopt-A-City Street Program (PDF)
The following guidelines apply to any adoptee in the program:
- The section of City street to be adopted will generally be from two to four blocks in length, but can be of any length subject to administrator’s approval. Eligible sections of street may be chosen by the adoptee, in cooperation with the programs administrator, with special consideration to safety.
- Litter pick-up should be done at least six times a year. The recommended adoption period shall be a minimum of two years, renewable at the request of the adoptee.
- The program is not intended as a means of providing a public forum for groups, businesses or individuals to use in promoting name recognition or political causes. The programs administrator therefore reserves the right to deny adoption to any prospective adoptee. The Adopt-A-City Street Program is offered to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, disability or sexual preference.
- No person under the age of 11 will be permitted to pick up litter within the City right of way. All persons between the ages of 11 and 18 must be accompanied by at least one adult for every five persons under the age of 18.
- The Hot springs Solid Waste Department will normally supply safety vests, disposable gloves, litter bags, and grabbers for volunteer use with this program. These items may be picked up from the Solid Waste office at 218 Runyon Street.
- The adoptee must make prior arrangements with Solid Waste to pick up the bagged trash by calling Samantha Norwood, office manager, at 501-321-6911. The trash must be left in a safe and convenient area for collection by truck. After each pick-up, the adoptee must file a report within two weeks by emailing email@example.com and providing the number of participants, approximate number of hours taken and the number of bags filled. Failure to report any pick-ups within a six-month period could result in removal from the program.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to schedule at least one pick-up to coincide with the “Trash Bash” on or near the first weekend after Labor Day.